Danse Manatee

Tuesday, November 28

Freaky Folky so lovely lovely: Elf Power

I've been doing my best in recent times to discover this genre called "Freak Folk", mainly because Animal Collective is categorized under it and they just happen to be one of my favoritefavoritefavorite bands (that's 3 favorites) ever. Elf Power's Back to the Web is characterized by steady, heavy, creeping drums and even creepier underlying chanting/moaning (or maybe that's an understated didgeridoo, I'm not sure). But it's not totally dark, and that's why I like this. There's something pretty and natural about their songs, with this underlaying creepiness which totally gets my love and attention. I've come to think that Freak Folk is a mix of the natural and the creepy. But those are 2 of my favorite things so maybe that's why I see that. Anyways, here are the 2 opening songs from Back to the Web.

Come Lie Down With Me (And Sing My Song)

An Old Familiar Scene

The albums cover art is also pretty neat considering the title:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home